Thursday, June 07, 2012

The Flu Turns Out To Be Strep Throat

Well, what I thought was a really bad case of the flu, I wished, has turned out to be strep throat. And boy it really sucks to have it when your pushing 50.
If you read the link to WebMD, I had every symptom that is listed. The doctor did in fact take a throat culture.  Here are the symptoms to look for:

  • A sudden, severe sore throat.
  • Pain when you swallow.
  • Fever over 101°F (38.3°C).
  • Swollen tonsils and lymph nodes.
  • White or yellow spots on the back of a bright red throat.

  • Well, the only difference is that I no longer have tonsils, yet my lymph nodes were indeed very swollen. Even today I still have pain swallowing and a lot of congestion.
    It is my public service announcement that if you have any of the above symptoms, get to your doctor yesterday.
    Thankfully, Mrs. RVFTLC is a persistent one.
    I felt sick Wednesday, it hit like a ton of bricks Thursday and she insisted that I go to the doctor on Friday. Which I did. See, I really was sick. I would normally argue. But I knew whatever it was I had to go.
    And yes, it takes a long time to even marginally recover as I am now.
    And I hope to at least get a post in on how voting was here in California this past Tuesday.
    Again, if you are feeling ill and have any of the above symptoms, get to the doc right away.

    2 comments:

    Amy said...

    My sympathies. I've had strep throat twice. It really does kick your butt. As I recall the standout symptom is a very painful sore throat.

    Those wonderful antibiotics kill off the good bugs as well as bad, so do yourself and your intestines a favor and eat some yogurt every day, or get some acidophilus supplements. Gargling with salt water will help the sore throat. Lots of fluids & lots of sleep!

    An Unmarried Man said...

    Ewwww, strep throat.

    Yes, antibiotics kill all the beneficial intestinal flora. Load up on those probiotics :)