Monday, October 10, 2011

Here We Go Again On Mormon Bashing And Mitt Romney

UGH! It appears that Texas governor Rick Huckabee, er Perry, has a supporter that is using his position to once again question the former Massachusetts governor, Mitt Romney and his belonging to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Meet the Rev. Robert Jeffress of First Baptist Church of Dallas, Texas.
Now on the surface, the Rev. Jeffress simply appears to be a leading Evangelical minister leading Megachurch in Dallas.
But scratch the surface and you get a pretty sure of himself religious bigot. And of course, the Rev. Jeffress trots out the Mormonism-is-a-cult card.
Look, I am not here to convince you that it is not. But read what the Rev. Jeffress said. It is not as bad as the former Arkansas governor, the Rev. Mike Huckabee, in his "question" to a New York Times reporter.
In that infamous interview, the Rev. Mike asked if Mormons believe that Jesus and Satan are brothers.
Just another way to ask the "Say, aren't them there Mor-mons Christians or not?" canard.
Now, Gov. Perry has plummeted since entering the GOP race for president. Does any one really think this will help him with the overall Republican voters? And the fact that he has not totally dismissed the Rev. Jeffress support sure does not help.
Let me write that as a Christian, and yeah I consider myself Evangelical, I have voted for people that are not my vision of a Christian. As a Protestant, I have voted for Roman Catholics. Would do so again when the right one comes along. Will vote for a Jewish politician that I would agree with. Even, hold on to your hat, and Islamic if he or she were along the same way politically.
See, overall views are important to me. Sure, I would like to vote for a Christian first and foremost. But if say Eric Cantor, the House Majority leader was running for president against the Dear Leader, President Obama, would I not vote for him? Oh, did I mention that Congressman Cantor is Jewish? Should I not vote for the Jewish pol I agree with over the nominal Christian that I have absolutely nothing in agreement with?
Why does not the Obamawhore media ask the Rev. Jefress that question?
Or another question that always escapes the same Obamawhore media when engaging in Mormon bashing.
Does the Rev. Jeffress think that the Roman Catholic church is a cult? Many Evangelicals do. I think since the good pastor opened the door, we need to ask him some questions.
But, no one will. Because it is now open season on Mormons.
Again, for the umpteenth time, I do not agree with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints theologically. But I accept that they are Christians. A different kind of Christian, yes, but they are Christians as they see it.
Hence, I can vote for Mitt Romney with a clear conscience that if he should become president, he will not turn the White House into the newest Mormon Temple. Nor will he send cadres of white, button-downed shirt young men on bikes to knock on the doors of the rest of the non-believers of Mormon doctrine. And, I do not think Mr. Romney will turn his religion into the state religion since the constitution rejects it and he would not do that.
Two people I respect had the best comments on the issue.
Radio talker Bill Bennett called the Rev. Jeffress out as a religious bigot. Right on my Roman Catholic brother, Bill!
And Presbyterian presidenital candidate Herman Cain said this in an interview yesterday courtesy of CBS Face The Nation:

Schieffer: How about you, Mr. Cain. What's your thought on this?

Cain: I feel the same way. We're not running for theologian in chief. We're running for president of the United States of America. What I believe is that the American people want to know: what are your values? What are your principles? Because your values and your principles may impact how you make decisions. But not get into the specifics of your chosen religion.

Schieffer: Do you think Mormons are Christians?

Cain: I believe that they believe that they're Christians based on their definition but getting into whether or not they're more Christian than another group, I don't think that's relevant to this campaign.


Exactly.
That is why Gov. Perry must dismiss the support of the Rev. Jeffress. And he must denounce they kind of talk the Rev. Jeffress is engaging in. And we all must remember that this helps. . .the Dear Leader, President Obama.
After all, the race to the Republican nomination is to see who will face the Dear Leader, President Obama, in November 2012. This is not the race to see who is the true Christian or not.
Please good GOP voters, keep that in mind. And remember one more very important thing.
Thousands of our young men and women are fighting against Islamicfacist terrorists that would impose a state religion if they are not defeated. It is a form of Islam that is not even recognizable to most Islamics. These young men and women are fighting for the unique American position that all religions are free to practice in this Great Land.
Remember that in your vote fellow conservatives.

4 comments:

Elani said...

I like your idea about enlightening vs. enraging in your profile. I am the same way. I have an honest questions for you, and I hope you don't take offense. You say you can vote for Romney because he is some sort of Christian, does that mean that you will not vote for someone who is Muslim or atheist? I think that as long as their political views are in synch with yours, the religion they practice shouldn't matter.

Righty64 said...

I may have not been clear but yes, I would vote for an Islamic/Muslim if we were on the same page politically. I will admit I left off the atheist because I would have to know if that person would be hostile to religion in general.

Elani said...

Thats cool. I am pretty liberal, so the one thing I don't get about many on the far right is the refusal to consider anyone that doesn't share their religious views. But I've also seen liberals try to force Christians to dismiss their faith, so it goes both ways. Thanks for the answer and not being offended by the question!

Debutopia said...

I am a progressive who eyes the entanglement between religion and politics with suspicion. I don't normally endorse conservative candidates but, on this issue, I stand with Mitt. http://debutopia.blogspot.com/2011/10/keep-your-mitts-off-mitt.html