First, let me wish all those who read this blog a very, very Happy New Year!
We survived a lot in 2008 and as it winds down here on the Left Coast, it is time for a little reflection and once again, I will peer into the dirty crystal ball and try my hand at a few predictions for 2009.
The American people did an amazing thing in voting for the first black man for the presidency.
No, President-elect Barack Obama was not my candidate, but he is my president. And I am glad to say that in this nation, people moved beyond race in this presidential election.
That does not mean I do not have worries or will give him a free pass. But, I will be very proud to see the peaceful transfer of power from President George W. Bush to President Barack Obama. Even in the midst of the Civil War, President Lincoln was elected to a second term. It proves that full, free elections can occur and when one side loses, they concede and help the winner take over.
The economic meltdown is astounding. But, once again, there are legitimate concerns as to how the government may or may not make it worse.
As this year draws to a close, Israel is poised to militarily enter the Hamas-dominated Gaza Strip to stop the rain of terror the Hamas government has done to Southern Israel. A lot of serious peril for the incoming Obama administration.
A lot took place in this ending year.
Last year, I tried my best to predict how events would turn out. Rather than rehash them, I will simply link to that post and one can laugh or cry or say, right on the money. One thing I can safely write is that I do not think Nostradamus has anything to worry about!
But, since it was so fun last year, I thought I would give it another shot this year. However, I will not break it down by categories. I will just spray the field, so to speak. Here we go.
- President Obama will be dealing with a terrorist attack within the first six months of his term. The American people will rally around our president.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers will open the piggyback and resign slugger Manny Ramirez. They will need to do so to have another shot at the playoffs. And, as an aside, when he was acquired by the Dodgers, he changed their whole attitude. Got to keep Manny here, Mr. McCourt.
- Norm Coleman will pull out the smokin' hot senate election in Minnesota by 40 votes.
- The Democrat-controlled senate will seat President Obama's appointed successor, Roland Burris. They are in a bad place and will need his probable reliable vote.
- Card-check will not be passed in congress as Republican senators will block the controversial legislation.
- Unemployment will reach eight percent by the end of 2009. Congress will have passed a $1,000,000,000,000 "stimulus" package.
- Chrysler will be the first of the "Big Three" American auto makers to declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. General Motors will follow. Ford will not have to file as they will be seen as the strongest of the Big Three.
- California Governor Benedict Arnold Schwarzenegger will raise a slew of taxes and it will still not stop the red ink. He will try to overturn Proposition 13, the property tax measure passed in 1978 that also forced a two-thirds vote of the legislature to raise taxes.
- Congressional popularity ratings will not pass 25% in 2009.
- Super Bowl 43: Pittsburgh Steelers from the AFC, Atlanta Falcons from the NFC. Final score: Pittsburgh 31-Atlanta 24.
- NHL Stanley Cup finals: Montreal Canadiens over the Chicago Black Hawks, 4 games to 3.
- NBA Finals: Los Angeles Lakers over the Boston Celtics, 4 games to 2.
- World Series: Ahh, too early for this. See this in March!
Well, that is it on the prediction front for now. I would like you to share any that you may have. Once again, I wish all, even you Mr. Snarkle, a Happy, Healthy New Year and thanks again for stopping by Right View From The Left Coast!