Tuesday, November 04, 2008

CONGRATULATIONS PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA



Let us ALL say it together now:

Congratulations to President-elect Barack Obama.

I will have a later post as to the prospects for the Republicans in the next four years. but I want to take this opportunity to thank our new president-elect and say that he had two things going for him. A bad economy and a really unpopular president that he successfully ran against.

In politics, timing is everything. And for many Americans, the time was right to elect the first black for the highest office in the land.

No question, a lot of the Obama win has to do with the tremendous support he garnered within the black community.

I was at an event this past weekend and the overwhelming majority of the people were black. Many were showing their support for President-elect Obama. I was thinking the whole time that I could not vote for then Sen. Messiah Barack. Not because he was black but because I found little if anything that I agreed with him about. But, I was also thinking how exciting for many of the people that I was with that they, many who probably were old enough to not be able to drink from the same water fountain as whites or sit at the same lunch counter, would be able to vote for a black man for president.

And, I do understand their excitement.

But, they will have to be prepared for the disappointment that President-elect Obama will have to bring to them, as to many of us, at some point in his presidency.
It is the way that it is in politics.

But, do not take away the victory. For Sen. Barack Hussein Obama is now the president-elect of the United States. And yes, he is my president even though I did not vote for him. That is the way that it is in a democratic system such as ours.

So, it is as heartfelt that I can to congratulate our president elect.

And, the 2012 campaign begins in the morning!

3 comments:

Erik Grow said...

Well said, Mark. You showed a lot more class than Spark did. I was really disappointed in her. Maybe your site will be my destination in 2012 if I choose to do this again on blogs. Lucky you, right? Hehheh. I doubt I will do this again actually. I'll send you my address for the shirt today. I will make a video and put it on my blog when I get it, thanking you for your respect of the opposing viewpoints and ability to see beyond the frustration of political loss. Much respect Mark.

Righty64 said...

Hey, you are a good sport. That is part of the problem. We get so wrapped up in this stuff we forget that it is one election and for me, it is the ideas that are important. We will be back in two and or four years. I do think a lot of this has to do with the 2000 election. Maybe the fact that this was a clean win it will take some of that bitterness out of some people. You are always welcome here and I enjoy our banter. Now, I can get back to sports for a while!

Rick Frea said...

We need therapy: Say it. Say it. It will help. Say, "Yes, Obama is my president. He is a good man. He will be a good presid..."

I can't go on.