Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Sarah Palin Hatrick

Last night was the speech of the politcal season as the Republican vice-presidential nominee, Alaska governor, Sarah Pailn, took to the stage in St. Paul, Minnesota and scored a hatrick and showed the United States and the world that she is one tough "hockey mom"!
There was so much in the speech last night, but I want to highlight five aspects of the speech:

It was just a year ago when all the experts in Washington counted out our nominee because he refused to hedge his commitment to the security of the country he loves.
With their usual certitude, they told us that all was lost - there was no hope for this candidate who said that he would rather lose an election than see his country lose a war.
But the pollsters and pundits overlooked just one thing when they wrote him off.
They overlooked the caliber of the man himself - the determination, resolve, and sheer guts of Senator John McCain. The voters knew better.
And maybe that's because they realize there is a time for politics and a time for leadership ... a time to campaign and a time to put our country first.
Our nominee for president is a true profile in courage, and people like that are hard to come by.


And, I was one of them that counted ol' Johnny Mac out. What little did I know!

My family is proud of both of them and of all the fine men and women serving the country in uniform. Track is the eldest of our five children.
In our family, it's two boys and three girls in between - my strong and kind-hearted daughters Bristol, Willow, and Piper.
And in April, my husband Todd and I welcomed our littlest one into the world, a perfectly beautiful baby boy named Trig. From the inside, no family ever seems typical.
That's how it is with us.
Our family has the same ups and downs as any other ... the same challenges and the same joys.
Sometimes even the greatest joys bring challenge.
And children with special needs inspire a special love.
To the families of special-needs children all across this country, I have a message: For years, you sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters.
I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House. Todd is a story all by himself.
He's a lifelong commercial fisherman ... a production operator in the oil fields of Alaska's North Slope ... a proud member of the United Steel Workers' Union ... and world champion snow machine racer.


Gov. Palin gaves us the family background and ever so lightly addressed the fact that her family is not all that different than yours and mine. Gov. Palin did not and should not have addressed the fact that her oldest daughter, Bristol Palin, is pregnant with a child out of wedlock. Also, Gov. Palin made a great case that children with special needs are not discards. By mentioning her baby as one with Down Syndrome, she made a case for life without having to beat anyone over the head that she is pro-life.

I was just your average hockey mom, and signed up for the PTA because I wanted to make my kids' public education better.
When I ran for city council, I didn't need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and knew their families, too.
Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown.
And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves.
I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities. I might add that in small towns, we don't quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening, and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren't listening.
We tend to prefer candidates who don't talk about us one way in Scranton and another way in San Francisco.


Nice shot at the Democrat presidential nominee, Sen. Messiah Barack Obama. What Gov. Palin reminded us last night is that Sen. Messiah Barack is an elitist. Yes, He is. Sen. Messiah Barack never really dismissed the infamous remarks to his elite benefactors at a soiree in San Francisco earlier in the campaign season. Gov. Palin reminded us that people can get involved, and govern for the right reasons, not just to add another office to their political resume.

But with the support of the citizens of Alaska, we shook things up.
And in short order we put the government of our state back on the side of the people.
I came to office promising major ethics reform, to end the culture of self-dealing. And today, that ethics reform is the law.
While I was at it, I got rid of a few things in the governor's office that I didn't believe our citizens should have to pay for.
That luxury jet was over the top. I put it on eBay.
I also drive myself to work.
And I thought we could muddle through without the governor's personal chef - although I've got to admit that sometimes my kids sure miss her. I came to office promising to control spending - by request if possible and by veto if necessary.
Senator McCain also promises to use the power of veto in defense of the public interest - and as a chief executive, I can assure you it works.
Our state budget is under control.
We have a surplus.
And I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending: nearly half a billion dollars in vetoes.
I suspended the state fuel tax, and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress.
I told the Congress "thanks, but no thanks," for that Bridge to Nowhere.
If our state wanted a bridge, we'd build it ourselves. When oil and gas prices went up dramatically, and filled up the state treasury, I sent a large share of that revenue back where it belonged - directly to the people of Alaska.
And despite fierce opposition from oil company lobbyists, who kind of liked things the way they were, we broke their monopoly on power and resources.
As governor, I insisted on competition and basic fairness to end their control of our state and return it to the people.


A great dovetail into the fact and reality that Gov. Palin, in those 18 months as governor has some very major accomplishments. Sen. Messiah Barack Obama can not point to one piece of legislation that he authored, led the fight for or any reform. And that also is a direct shot into the grill of the Democrat vice-presidential nominee, Sen. Blowhard Biden. In 35 years as a senator, he is just, well a blowhard and certainly not a reformer.

For a season, a gifted speaker can inspire with his words.
For a lifetime, John McCain has inspired with his deeds.
If character is the measure in this election ... and hope the theme ... and change the goal we share, then I ask you to join our cause. Join our cause and help America elect a great man as the next president of the United States.
Thank you all, and may God bless America.


Gov. Palin in those two line about words and deeds layed out the case for the McCain/Palin campaign. And once again, as she did throughout the speech, she took right to Sens. Messiah Barack Obama and Blowhard Biden. And, in retrospect, I do not see how any of the other potential vice-presidential candidates could have done it the way that she did. As a "pitbull with lipstick" as she put it during the speech.
What Gov. Sarah Palin did last night was just dumbfound the DDBMSOWN and make them look like the petualant trolls that they are. And, Gov. Palin spoke to many Americans of all walks of life. She showed that a small-town girl can make good and she did it through hard work and on her own, not being married to a governor who became president.
Sen. John "F--- You" McCain made the best decision of his political carreer when he asked Gov. Palin to join him on the ticket. And, she will make a great vice-president.






GPv[sa

G


5 comments:

Rightwingsnarkle said...

I'm confused - you like to portray Obama as some kind of cult leader, and his supporters as zombies, but your own enthusiasm for a person who you likely knew little, if anything, about as recently as a week ago is, frankly, a little...unseemly.

I guess I can understand why she's such a hit with the wingnut fundies. It's because she's about as big of a wingnut fundie as a wingnut fundie (or, more accurately, a premillenial dispensationalist from the Assemblies of God) can be.

Miss Alaska is just the latest in one big long line of liars that the repubs keep trotting out, and now the campaign is gonna keep the press away from her in hopes that she doesn't trip over her own tongue.

We'll see how that plays out. A press that takes itself seriously enough to actually do it's freaking job may be too much to hope for, but I guess it's just like Jesse Jackson said - ya gotta keep hope alive.

Meanwhile, there are also plenty of bloggers to fill in the gaps.

Pat Jenkins said...

i want me one of those "hockey mom" sweaters!!!

Righty64 said...

Ah, Mr. Snarkle, I am surprised that you know so much about the Assemblies of God. I mean, in another comment you lumped all Christians as "Fundies". Again, I know you just like to spread wrong info, but I will correct you that Gov. Palin was MISS WASILLA, not Miss Alaska. And speaking of tripping over the tounge, please tell YOUR messiah that her town is not WASILLY! I know, hard to believe that your messiah makes mistakes, huh?

Rightwingsnarkle said...

you lumped all Christians as "Fundies".

Well, 'fundies' is the shorter form, derived from 'wingnut fundies' or 'fundy wingnuts,' which in turn is derived from 'wingnut fundy wackjobs.'

W#hen I use the term, I'm specifically referring to the folks who say their votes are based on 'cultural issues.'

The repubs have made exploiting that group into an art. Miss Alaska is just the latest, and most blatant, example.

I'm keenly interested in people and their delusional constructs, y'know, the whole 'Jesus is magic' thing.

As I've said before, I don't buy any of that myself. But it's interesting to me nonetheless, because I work with people and ya gotta take them as they are, y'know?

Seems to me that you haven't followed either of the links in my previous comment. I understand completely - denial is a HUGE defense mechanism, probably the strongest, even if it's ultimately maladaptive and never leads to a good end.

Nikki said...

change...but not too much. Obama and some old guy who has been in washington for decades is part of the change. ok. Yep we brought in an outsider who has really changed things and this is just unacceptable because she isn't a washingtonite! classic libs. :)N