Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The County Fair-Americana At Its Best

This past Sunday, Mrs. rightviewfromtheleftcoast and I went to the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa, California. I really love county fairs, and one of the best is in Orange County.
It is not just because it is deep in the heart of Red Southern California, but just the feel of the people, the carnival, the performances, the food and the animals, really just about everything.
Most importantly, it is an amazing place where Americans of all groups, incomes, status and the like can let it hang out, so to speak, and have a good all-American time. Mrs.rightviewfromtheleftcoast and I are not real fans of the carnival. We leave that for the teenagers. One of our favorite places is where all of the products are sold. It is like one huge television infomercial on steroids. Everything from George Foreman grill knock-offs to mops that leave no streaks and everything else in between. Amazingly, many people watch the demonstrations and really do buy the stuff. We did not. Sometimes, the missus buys some kind of jewelry or some kind of wonder jewelery cleaner.
My favorite place is the livestock. I love seeing all of the farm animals. There seemed to be an endless supply of sheep. I have to say, I love the sheep. But, I wonder one thing about sheep. How do they see? I mean, their eyes are so wide apart and, even though it seems like they are looking at me. If anyone knows, please comment.
Anyhow, at the OC Fair, there is the funnest thing to see-the All-Alaskan Racing Pigs. Now, it is not the two-ton Tessies running around a small track but piglets. And they are so amazing they can even jump over like horses in a steeplechase. The piglets are so cute and amazingly fast! Afterwards, the local big-chain grocer, Ralph's, aka Kroger gives coupons away for a free package of bacon.
The food, now that is a gastronomical delight. One can get almost anything fried. Fried candy bars, fried cheesecake, fried avocados, beer battered Australian potatoes, which is one of our favorites and of course we consumed. If I were left to my own devices, I would still be recovering at a local hospital with all that I would consume if it were not for the missus keeping a good leash on my eating habits!
What I find so refreshing about a county fair is that it is inter-generational. I mean, we saw grandparents with their grand kids, moms and dads and many kids and people from all walks of life, a little bit of America and all enjoying themselves at a relatively inexpensive price to walk in the gate compared to the big amusement parks like Disneyland and the like.
I hope that this slice of Americana is maintained in a big way throughout the United States. I think this is a perfect gateway to show those from foreign lands what America is all about.

1 comment:

Pat Jenkins said...

i am with you 64 can't get enough of that fair food!!! my first stop is the burrito stand. fairs are a good way for communities to show off all the talents of the citizens, i am glad you enjoyed yours!!!