Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Jerry Falwell, RIP

Today, longtime Christian conservative leader, the Rev. Jerry Falwell died in the office of the place he loved the most, Liberty University. It marks the passing of a serious and driving leader in what we now call today the culture wars.
Of course, the Falwell haters have had a ball on the Internet and the blogosphere, showing what kind of class they have-none! But, I think he will be remembered as a man of God who tried, to the best of his understanding and ability, good in the world.
Unfortunately, when one is against a lot of things that seem to be the case of Rev. Falwell, he will be viciously attacked in some cases. But, when a man has gone to meet the Lord, respect should be given. He is no longer here to defend himself.
In some ways, I can not say I would always be in theological or even political agreement. I consider myself an evangelical, he a fundamentalist. I a conservative, he may be was a right-winger. But, he loved the Lord and again, I think that as he got older, he mellowed as we all do or will. But the zeal of his convictions did not, agree or disagree.
Thus, we have lost a Christian giant today and we should be praying for he and his family, not making vicious, hateful comments that those who are making them would condemn him for.

No comments: