Sunday, March 05, 2006

I can't Believe It!

I must admit, I am stunned and infact pleased that the 2006 Academy Awards did not degenerate into a lover fest for "Brokeback Mountain."
A disclaimer.
I am not much of a movie watcher. I did not see any of the nominated movies for Best Picture.
Now, the Academy must have realized,, deep in the recesses of their minds that America was not ready to embrace a story about two gay cowboys and their closeted affair.
But it is not only that but the fact that the Academy seemed to have nominated a slew of movies that most Americans could care less about or will not see.
But, when push came to shove, a controversial movie, Crash, did win.
So, at the end of day, without a doubt, few Americans were probably watching and those that did were treated to what Hollywood thinks is real America. Gay cowboys, racist Anglenos, a freaky writer named Capote, men who want to be women. I can't go on!
This American stayed away as I do from ALL awards shows.
At least this time, the Academy Awards did the right thing-in its own special way!

No comments: