Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Hook 'em Horns! Texas will BEAT USC!

You read it here first. The Texas Longhorns will beat the USC trojans for the BCS (Also known here as the Bowl conspiracy Series) college football championship.
Yea, yea I know. I live in Pasadena and should be, by all accounts, a big USC fan. But I'm not. My game was last Friday when UCLA came back and beat Northwestern like a drum.
So, here are some reasons why Texas will wipe the floor with USC.
1) Tougher schedule and more convincing wins. Texas had to go into Ohio State, were underdogs, and won. Also, the Big 12 is a tougher conference than the Pac 10. Also, while USC did pound the beloved UCLA Bruins into the ground to cement this game, Texas massacred Colorado, 70-3 to win the Big 12 title game, something that the Pac 10 does not even have.
2) Better quarterback. Yes, I know some people look and wonder have I hot the sauce to make this claim, but while Matt Leinart has great numbers, it is the overall quality of Vince Young that impresses me.
3) Swagger. USC coach Pete Carroll is way too business like and it reflects in the attitude of the team. You have to be hungry every year.
You have to have the attitude of Texas safety Michael Huff who said after pounding Colorado, "They (USC) probably have the second-best offense, compared to our offense, in the nation. Then lineman Rod Wright said, "We want to dominate."
4) Red state vs. Blue State. Sorry, although I am of the left coast I do live in a very blue state, at least on the coastline. Texas is a growing state, has a superior business climate and Republican governance. Until this state elects more real Republicans, we will be looking very much like, much to my horror, New York or even worse, Massachusetts!
Some of this is hyperbole, but the bottom line is that Texas is a better team and peaking at the right time. Tomorrow at this time, a lot of Americans will be doing the hook 'em horns!

No comments: